Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tri Training at "Camp McDonald"




My family and I are fortunate to have an awesome getaway at my Uncle Rob and Aunt Marianne's "cabin" in West Virginia. They have an incredible (very guest-friendly) home near Shepherdstown, complete with a creek, a pond (perfect for open water swimming), and lots of animals in the neighborhood. The kids love fishing on the pond, even if it is with a Barbie fishing rod that has a plastic fish attached.

The great thing about weekend visits is that there are TONS of activities to entertain my kids while I get in some great training. Rob is a cyclist, and takes me on wonderful rides when I visit (while Marianne keeps the kids busy). This weekend, after a great family celebration and an awesome breakfast on Saturday, Rob took me cycling through the Antietam battlefield. A few great hills, and amazing scenery. We ended the ride with a hard sprint the last mile or so. It felt amazing!!! After the ride, we took the kids for a swim in the pond (actually, they hung out on a raft while I pulled them around and rescued them from "Rob the Pirate").


On Sunday, I got to swim laps in the pond (getting some more wetsuit time in) while my daughter floated around on a raft. She kept me great company, and laughed like crazy when I splashed her as I swam by.

I now need a vacation from our awesome vacation, but it was so worth it!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! What a great place! And, how cool that you got to get some great training in while the kids were entertained! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete