Sunday, June 14, 2020

A Letter to My Grandmother





I wrote this letter and mailed it on May 19. I hope our grandmother was able to read it or have it read to her and that she understood it. I am sharing because I think our ability to get through our current crises has been forged by those who raised us, the grandparents who lived through World War II and grew up in the time of the Great Depression. The parents who marched for equal rights. The "Greatest Generation" is just that for a reason, and we need to reflect on that reason and draw on it as we find our purpose in the "next normal".

Dear Grandma Jossi,
I started writing this letter on April 29th, and then got sidetracked with work and motherhood and so many other things. After the call tonight that you had either a stroke or mini stroke, I knew I had to finish it. Thankfully Mere and I were able to hear your voice and even though you have some expressive aphasia, you are still undoubtedly you.

Whenever I have described you and your character, I think about how you were born in the time of the Great Depression and how it shaped you. You always saved (you were worried we thought you were a hoarder, but you were an organized saver). You certainly bought us material things (we waited for your visits to go to the mall), but you gave us far more in experiences. Trips across the country, to Gettysburg, to Florida. 

You taught us that some pots and pans, rice, and water on the back porch can be the most exciting science project. 

You made “Huckleberry Finn” narrated by Dick Cavett interesting, even the 465th time we listened to it driving across the country. 

You and Grandpa taught me at the age of 10 how to pull up at a campsite and make friends. If there weren’t kids my age you taught me how to find my own adventure.



As we experience COVID-19, we have technology and food delivery and so many things you didn’t have growing up. We also have fear, and uncertainty, and worry that those we love will become sick or lose their jobs. I feel like our generation is finally understanding what it must have been to grow up during or shortly after the Great Depression, and what it was to worry about loved ones overseas in World War II. Only our battlefront is here at home.

When we talked recently about one of the historical fiction books I sent you (about amazing women in World War I), you told me “I love stories about women who kicked off their dancing shoes and put on their boots and got things done.” You are one of those women, and you have raised us to be those women. I came across these pictures of you and they make me think of what an amazing and strong and beautiful woman you are.

One of the hardest parts of this pandemic has been caring for patients who can’t have their loved ones visits. Our nurses and staff have become their families. I am so thankful for the staff there at Lifecare who are taking good care of you.
                          We love you very much