Monday, May 4, 2009

"I never regretted a workout"

When my daughter started playing soccer, she would poop out in the last few minutes of practice (she was only 4). My line for her was always "finish strong". When it came time to train for and run my first (and only) marathon, I had to keep using that line on myself. ("Practice what you preach", and all).

Katy, my training buddy and good friend, always says she has regretted many meals but "I never regretted a workout." I try to keep that in mind whenever I am dragging. I made it to the gym for a run on the treadmill before picking up the kids. The treadmill has been great for improving my speed this winter, but I have to balance it with running the hills around home. My average time for both the half and full marathon was a 9:50 minute. I ran a lot on the treadmill after the marathon, and averaged an 8:50 minute on the 10K a month later. (Granted a much shorter event, but still an improvement). I run a 5K this weekend, so I am interested to see how it goes.

Getting back to never regretting a workout.... I am completely exhausted after a Monday at work and an evening with the kids (why do they never go to bed before 10 when their Dad is working?!). Despite that, I am so glad that I got in a 3 mile run...nothing feels better than breaking a sweat and burning some calories. I even ran into Katy at the gym (on her birthday, no less). Now I just need to work on monitoring my heart rate when I run and getting an optimal workout (details, details).

No comments:

Post a Comment