Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rev3 Cedar Point Part 2: "Glitter in the Air"


"Have you ever fed a lover with just your hands?
Close your eyes and trust it, just trust it
Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air?
Have you ever looked fear in the face
And said I just don't care?

It's only half past the point of no return
The tip of the iceberg, the sun before the burn
The thunder before lightning, the breath before the phrase
Have you ever felt this way?
.................
It's only half past the point of oblivion
The hourglass on the table, the walk before the run
The breath before the kiss and the fear before the flames
Have you ever felt this way?"

This is one of my favorite songs these days. I've always loved Pink, but as I listened to my Ipod on race morning, I realized the song describes the sensation on race morning. You start the day in the dark...my Cedar Point race day started when I woke up and saw the generator lights down on the beach, illuminating the swim start. The Half Rev didn't start until 8:30, so there was time. There is something so exciting about race morning, before the sun rises. There is such promise in the breaking dawn. The day is unwritten....the results of my race unknown. Going through the pre-race ritual provides focus.

The Rev3 transition area is awesome. The bikes are racked by their tires, rather than their seats. It provides you a defined amount of space (which is always nice). At one point, I was setting up my transition area and looked up to see the American flag over the Cedar Point entrance. It was still at half staff in remembrance for 9/11. That was definitely one of those moments that makes you pause and reflect. When I looked back up a few minutes later, they had raised the flag because it was 9/12.



The great thing about Cedar Point was that we got to watch the pro 140.6 swim finish before our waves started. I got to hang out with Shane, husband of teammate Kathleen Calkins, and Emily and Ryan (a great couple!). The pre-race nerves were at a minimum.

We lined up for the start after seeing the pros finish. Anticipation building.....glitter in the air...time to go.

2 comments:

  1. AWWW - one of my FAVORITE songs too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily and I had a great time chatting it up with you before the swim!

    ReplyDelete