Monday, February 6, 2012

30-Day Transformation

Ok, so the title of this blog sounds like the title of an infomercial. There are no shortcuts, there are no free rides, and being successful in the sport of triathlon (or life in general) requires hard work.

After the year 16 months of crummy health issues (blah, blah, blah), I was so over all of it. I kept thinking if I could just maintain a positive attitude, I could get it all turned around. I was convinced that although my health issues were seemingly random (ectopic pregnancy, abnormal heart rhythms, hearing loss, etc.), there had to be something tying them all together. Nutrition? Emotional well-being (perhaps I hadn't allowed my self to grieve the loss of a pregnancy that was a surprise in the first place)? Bad luck?

Every time I thought I got a handle on things, something else cropped up.....my migraines got much worse, my hair was falling out. While it isn't good to rest too much on dates (i.e. "It will get better next year), I decided to try my hardest to make sure that my health was better in 2012 than it had been in 2011.

I had amazing support from family, friends, and teammates during all of my health issues. So it certainly wasn't lack of love and support that was exacerbating things. I decided to make two big changes.

1. After getting worked on by my friend Andree's chiropractor in South Carolina, I decided to try chiropractic and see if it made a difference in my health and my ability to train.
2. I made the decision Carole Sharpless (team Rev3 "Mom" and awesome friend) offered to take me on as a coaching client. I hoped that working with a coach who "got" and respected my crazy life would help me achieve my goals successfully (primarily to train smart and train healthy).

Fast forward 30 days. I emailed Carole two weeks ago and said "I realized on a run today that I will run over 20 miles this week, and I got choked up". This time of the triathlon season isn't about distance or speed, but about building a healthy base. Holy cow! What I've done in the past month is more than I did practically all of last year, and I feel good doing it. She even has me looking forward to my swim workouts.

The other amazing thing? Two days after a 9+ mile run last week, I saw Dr. Ray Moss, my chiropractor and frankly my current BFF. I nearly bounced into his office, very excited to tell him that I had NO pain in my right sacroiliac joint (lower back). This was AFTER running 9+ miles. I should have been in a lot of pain, and stiff, and sore, and uncomfortable.... At least if my previous experience had anything to say about it. I am still in the initial phases of chiropractic, and have days where the arthritis in my pelvis does both me, but not nearly like it did before.

The month of January exceeded my wildest expectations. I still have a long way to go, and as I type this I am battling the sinus crud and am bummed that I missed a workout this weekend. But I'm also overjoyed with the progress I have made, and thankful for a new year.

I would be remiss if I didn't say thanks to everyone who has been on the roller coaster of my health the past year+. Tommy spent his share of time in waiting rooms and let me cry when I needed to, family members who made sure the kids were covered, Katy was there both times I needed to go to the Emergency Room (since we work at the hospital), coworkers who covered me, and my friends and teammates. Your encouragement and listening ears will always be appreciated. I'm not kidding myself that I might not need them in the future, but I'm hoping those moments come much less often.

Here is to an awesome 2012!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing post! I CAN'T WAIT to follow your progress the rest of the year! You have an amazing attitude, fantastic support and a kick ass coach! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! I can't wait to read all about your amazing year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome post Kier! I'm so glad that things are going so well and I am positive they will just keep getting better! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you! You are going to do AMAZING things this year!! (and my chiro is also my BFF!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a great start to 2012! Looking forward to meeting you this year!

    ReplyDelete