I feel like I've done so much reflecting in the past couple of months. As I said in an email to a dear friend today, I feel like I've just been rolling with the punches and thankfully none of them has been a knockout blow. During a follow-up visit with my GYN after my ectopic pregnancy, we were discussing how surreal the whole experience was.
Me: "I just keep telling myself there must be a lesson in all this."
Dr. A: (I'm paraphrasing) "You know, I think sometimes crappy things just happen for no good reason"
Of course that made me think a lot. What I came to realize is that maybe there isn't a lesson, but I can learn from how I respond to situations, and how I come away from them. While I don't care to repeat the last few months of 2010, I have learned some powerful lessons. Among them...
- Even after 18 years, my dear husband will drop everything to be there for me when I need him.
- Homemade soup from your Mom makes a sick day much better, even when you are 34.
- I can never take for granted time with my children, even if they are fighting.
- I am fiercely determined.
- It is ok to sometimes let others take care of you without feeling guilty.
- Never take for granted that the person who seems happiest is really happy. Sometimes that is the person who needs your help the most. I wish we had learned this lesson sooner.
- My little sister can be almost as bossy as me when it comes to planning her wedding.
- I am truly fortunate to have such wonderful friends and family, and to be a part of a team that encompasses so much more than a bunch of triathletes.
- I am also fortunate to love my job. I was reminded today that I am so fortunate to do what I do.
- I don't have a race schedule for 2011, and that is ok...I'm going with it...letting my body tell me what I can handle. I am a planner. This is new for me.
One post can't sum up what a year 2010 has been, but I'm thankful to have regained my "pep" and looking forward to getting stronger (and maybe a little faster) in 2011.