Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Status of Moms and Wives in the 21st Century

I read two very interesting publications this week. While they don't pertain directly to the sport of triathlon, I think they speak to some of the challenges Moms face when trying to work tri training into their routine.

First, a few disclaimers:
1. My husband is AWESOME! He is a great Dad and very involved. There are definitely Mars/Venus differences between us and the way we handle things, but this is not meant to bash men.
2. While I am a Mom who works Full Time, I give all the credit in the world to my friends who stay home with their kids. I wasn't cut out for the role, and I respect those who are immensely.

The first publication feeds into the second. Apparently 20% of American women are now earning more than their spouses (and with the downturn in the economy, more men are being laid off than women). In families where one spouse has more education than the other, it is more likely to be the wife with the advanced education. Go figure! My theory has long been that women took over a lot more responsibility in the workplace, but didn't give up a lot of the responsibility in the home. While husbands are often super helpful, the intangibles are the things that stress us out.



The second article was really interesting. While the reader doesn't walk away with any "quick fixes", it definitely speaks to the challenges Moms face these days. The author goes to a variety of experts about leisure and leisure time, and is told repeatedly that she has lots of leisure time. Does it make any difference that these experts are single men without kids (one even lives with his parents). She finally talks to an expert who gives some interesting perspective on the way Moms spend their time.



This is not meant to be a soapbox....just a few interesting articles that seem timely as I try to work in my new training schedule to our work and family schedules. I seem to have issues with self-imposed guilt about taking too much time for myself. Apparently, I'm not the only one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment